League of Legends Gets Pricing Changes
Many champion skins see significant discounts
Riot Games has announced that their skin pricing system in League of Legends will be getting an overhaul due to the increasing popularity of skins, according to the official website.
It's easy to see why the skins are so popular; with such clever and practical choices such as Emumu Amumu (a personal favorite). While they vary in terms of quality, people spend in-game money, or Riot Points, to purchase them. Now because there are so many, Riot has to adjust their prices.
The game studio has done this by creating new tiers and adjusting old ones. Riot created, for example, the 750 RP tier features new texture and model work on champions. Here is a summary of some of the other changes from the official blog post.
390/520 RP skins
- These are outdated tiers used for skins that only featured texture changes, a new splash image, and at times slight model changes.
- 36 skins in the store at the 975 RP tier will have their prices lowered to 520 RP
- No new skins will be created for these tiers, but existing skins in the store are eligible to be put on sale.
- Example: Loch Ness Cho'Gath, Aviator Irelia
750 RP – New tier
- Skins in the new 750 RP tier feature new texture and model work as well as a new splash image; and some skins in this tier will feature new animations.
- 40 skins from the current 975 RP tier will have their prices lowered to 750 RP
- We expect that 10-20% of skins in 2013 will be released at 750 RP, and they will be eligible to be put on sale.
- Examples: Little Knight Amumu, Explorer Ezreal
- 975 RP skins feature a new model, textures and splash image; some skins in this tier will feature new animations, visual effects and sounds where appropriate for the theme of the skin.
- We expect that 50-75% of skins released in 2013 will be 975 RP, and they are eligible to be put on sale.
- Examples: Haunted Maokai, Jade Dragon Wukong
- Skins in the 1350 RP tier will feature a new model, textures, splash image, animations, visual effects and sounds. In some cases, these skins will also have processed voice overs.
- This tier is intended for skins that go above and beyond the quality of 975 RP skins but don't quite reach legendary status.
- 3 skins from the current 1820 Legendary tier will have their prices lowered to 1350 RP
- 18 skins from the current 975 RP tier will be moved to the 1350 RP tier
- We expect that 7-15% of skins released in 2013 will be 1350 RP, and they are eligible to be put on sale
- Examples: Blackthorn Morgana, Arcade Sona
1820 RP – Legendary skins
- A legendary skin completely changes the look and feel of a champion.
- These skins feature a new model, textures and splash image as well as completely new animations, visuals, voice over and sounds.
- We expect that 6-10% of skins released in 2013 will be Legendaries, and they will not be put on sale.
- Examples: Battlecast Prime Cho'Gath, Brolaf
3250 RP – Ultimate skins
- An ultimate skin is a complete reimagining of a champion that includes an evolving model and additional features and bonuses, such as summoner icons.
- 3250 RP skins feature a new model that evolves into different forms, textures, splash image, animations, visuals, voice over and sounds, as well as additional content.
- We expect that 2-4% of skins released in 2013 will be Ultimates. They may have initial promotions or discounts, but will not be put on sale.
- Examples: Pulsefire Ezreal